Friday, August 19, 2011

Save the Candle Jars: Upcycling Candle Jars

I love candles! One great way to get all your money's worth is to reuse the candle jar you have been given :) I really like to jazz them up by throwing some cute scrapbook paper on them by using mod podge!


Working at Yankee Candle I have gone through many candles! After the candle is gone I clean it out and reuse the jars. How do I clean mine out? When I think that this is going to be my last burn with a candle I blow it out let it sit for a couple minutes and then carefully scrape all the wax out with an old kitchen utensil. Wash it out thoroughly and then it is ready to be used!

What to reuse it for? The possibilities are endless!
Here are a couple of different ways that I use mine:
  • Kitchen utensil holder
  • Q-tips, cotton balls, & bath salts
  • Loose Jewelry
  • Crafting Supplies
  • Pretty Momentos: shells, marbles, buttons, & coins
  • Anything in the pantry: dry noodles, herbs, & tea bags
  • Vases
Those are just a few suggestions...think of all the other creative ways you could reuse them!

Have any other suggestions please comment below :)

Want to get the look that I get with my jars? Follow this quick tutorial!


You'll need:
  • Candle Jar
  • Scraps of Paper
  • Paper Trimmer
  • Mod Podge 
  • Sponge/Brush
1. Cut scraps of paper (can be any size you desire). I did mine in long strips.

2. Take sponge/brush and apply Mod Podge onto the outside of the candle jar.



3. Take one of the strips of paper and place onto Mod Podge. Put a layer of Mod Podge onto the top of the paper.


4. Continue step 3 until the jar is covered! Then you are finished and you can put whatever your heart desires into the jar :)


I think mine will hold some bath salts :)

~Wishing you creative bliss~

No comments:

Post a Comment