Monday, April 18, 2011

April Showers Bring May Flowers!

It must be that spring rain that is making me want to decorate everything with flowers lately! I love real flowers, but I can't justify spending the money to have fresh ones filling the vase everyday.

So, I gave myself a $10 budget and put my creative mind to work!
A couple hours later I came up with this:



If you like what you see then here are the following steps to creating a vase full of flowers that will never wilt!

Supplies Needed:


  • Spray Paint ($4.99 Hobby Lobby)
  • Ribbon ($2.00 Hobby Lobby)
  • Check around your home for an empty glass bottle, I found an empty Izze bottle in my home (free)
  • Scissors or floral cutters (had part of my essentials)
  • Glue gun with glue sticks (had part of my essentials)
  • 3 Floral Stems ($1.00 each Hobby Lobby)
With the supplies collected you are now ready to begin crafting!

1. To begin, you first want to take the label off your glass bottle and rinse it out.

2. Let it dry out, then set up an area were it is well ventilated; find some old paper bags/newspapers/magazines and lay them out.

3. After the glass bottle is dry and your area is set up you can begin to spray paint. Have you never spray painted before? Check this helpful website out: How to spray paint glass and more!

4. One coat should be enough :) Then let it dry for about 30 minutes.





5.  
Plug in the hot glue gun and cut three pieces of ribbon (pieces should cut to around 9 inches but will depend on size of glass bottle).



6. Begin to hot glue the first piece of ribbon where the body of the bottle starts. Next, glue the second piece right under the first piece. Follow the procedure with the last piece (keep glue gun plugged in for last step). 



7. Almost done! Chances are your stems are going to be too long and will need to be cut down to size. You can choose to have your stems to be all the same length or have some variety in length.  With variety use your floral cutters/scissors to cut, starting at the bottom of the stem, tallest floral 9 inches, middle 10 inches, and shortest 11 inches off the stem. Place in vase to see if you are happy with lengths.

8. Last step! Glue the floral stems in your vase starting with the shortest. Apply glue to the bottom of the stem, place in vase, and repeat with the other two (may have to hold flower down for 30 seconds before release).



9. Well almost last step ;) ADMIRE your new vase full of flowers! 


Stay tuned this week for my Easter craft: Crackin' Me Up 


~As always wishing you creative bliss!

            

2 comments:

  1. This is too cute! I also love fresh flowers, but they are expensive to keep buying. What an awesome idea! I am looking forward to the other things you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hannah! I hope you get a chance to experiment with my crafts, as well as enjoy "fresh flowers" year round! ;)

    ReplyDelete